Setting up a bucket test is easy and will tell you how much evaporation is occurring on your swimming pool. In the summer months we find it is best to perform a bucket test. In the cooler months, simply marking the water level of the pool with a piece of tape or pencil line can be just as effective to measure water loss.
- Make sure the water in the pool is at a normal operating level.
- Fill a 5-gallon bucket with pool water to within a few inches of the top.
- Place the bucket on a pool step.
- Mark the level of the water on the inside of the bucket.
- Mark the level of the water on the outside of the bucket.
- Turn off any auto fill and let the pool pump run in a normal cycle.
- After 24 hours, compare the two water levels.
If the water in the pool has gone down more than the water inside the bucket, your pool has a leak. If the water levels remained the same, water loss is due to normal pool evaporation and use.
Think your pool has a leak? We are always happy to discuss your issue over the phone. Want to know how many gallons of water your swimming pool is losing?
Austin Leak Detection gave a firm estimate, found the leak and fixed it. Nice guys and good job overall.- Curtis H.