Setting up a bucket test is easy and will tell you how much evaporation is occurring on your swimming pool. In the summer months we find it is best to perform a bucket test. In the cooler months, simply marking the water level of the pool with a piece of tape or pencil line can be just as effective to measure water loss.
- Make sure the water in the pool is at a normal operating level.
- Fill a 5-gallon bucket with pool water to within a few inches of the top.
- Place the bucket on a pool step.
- Mark the level of the water on the inside of the bucket.
- Mark the level of the water on the outside of the bucket.
- Turn off any auto fill and let the pool pump run in a normal cycle.
- After 24 hours, compare the two water levels.
If the water in the pool has gone down more than the water inside the bucket, your pool has a leak. If the water levels remained the same, water loss is due to normal pool evaporation and use.
Think your pool has a leak? We are always happy to discuss your issue over the phone. Want to know how many gallons of water your swimming pool is losing?
Swimming Pool Water Loss Calculator
Austin Leak Detection gave a firm estimate, found the leak and fixed it. Nice guys and good job overall.- Curtis H.